This post is #6 in DailyTekk’s famous Top 100 series which explores the best startups, gadgets, apps, websites and services in a given category. Total items listed: 112. Time to compile: 8+ hours. Follow @DailyTekk on Twitter to make sure you don’t miss a week!
Update: Be sure to check out our latest post on infographics: Infographics Are Everywhere – Here’s How to Make Yours Go Viral.
I love a good infographic! After all, knowledge is power and the visualization of data makes absorbing information all the easier. Well-designed infographics have a way of pulling me into a subject I’d normally never care to know about. As a designer I can attest to the crazy amount of time it takes to make a compelling, useful infographic. I have to say I knew about many of the great links, resources and tools I’ve linked to here on this post before but I dug deep and found some new and exciting infographic tools that I’m willing to bet you haven’t seen before. Items 1-5 under the Data Visualization Tools and Software category are sufficiently capable of arming even a novice designer with the ability to produce a powerful infographic (though I’m sure experts will find them handy as well). In short, if you love infographics, data visualization and information design as much as I do, you’re going to love this post. As always, leave me a comment with your thoughts and suggestions!
You might also like:
- The Best Blogs and Websites about Infographics
- Data Visualization Tools and Software
- Data Sources
- Create Personal Infographics
- Great Infographic Studios and Designers
- Infographic Articles and Tutorials
- Other / Miscellaneous / Overflow
The Best Blogs and Websites about Infographics
- Visual.ly – Awesome community for creating and sharing infographics.
- Information Aesthetics – The relationship between design and information.
- Visualizing.org – Making sense of complex issues through data and design.
- Visual Complexity – A resource for the visualization of complex networks.
- Daily Infographic – A new infographic every day.
- GOOD Infographics – GOOD Magazine’s excellent infographics section.
- Information Is Beautiful – Ideas, issues, knowledge, data – visualized.
- Infographic of the Day – Fast Company’s excellent and long running series.
- FlowingData – Exploring how designers, scientists visualize data.
- Datastore / Datablog – Two great data journalism sites from the Guardian.
- Infographics Archive – A visual library offering infographics.
- Visual Loop – There’s an infographic for it… even if it didn’t happen!
- Infographr – All about infographics.
- Newsilike – An infographics blog from India.
- Video Infographics – Motion infographics that explain, educate or inform.
- Datavisualization.ch – A news and knowledge resource for data visualization.
- VisualJournalism – 80% of the news in infographics.
- Eagereyes – Reflections on the visual communication of data.
- Amazing Infographics – Cool information graphics.
- Submit Infographics – Share and rate infographics.
- The Infographics Showcase – Collecting infographics.
- I Love Charts – A Tumblr blog about charts.
- Well Formed Data – An infographics blog by a freelance data visualizer.
- Best Infographics – Pointing you toward great infographics.
- Infographic List – For those who love infographics.
Back to top
Data Visualization Tools and Software
- Piktochart – Transforms your information into memorable presentations.
- Infogr.am – Create interactive charts and infographics.
- Gephi – Like Photoshop for data. Graph visualization and manipulation software.
- Tableau Public – Free data visualization software.
- Free Vector Infographic Kit – Vector infographic elements from MediaLoot.
- easel.ly – Create infographics online.
- Weave – Web-based analysis and visualization environment.
- iCharts – Charts made easy.
- ChartsBin – A web-based data visualization tool.
- GeoCommons – See your data on a map.
- VIDI – A suite of powerful Drupal visualization modules.
- Prefuse – Information visualization software.
- StatSilk – Desktop and online software for mapping and visualization.
- Gliffy – Online diagram and flowchart software.
- Hohli – Online charts builder.
- Many Eyes – Lets you upload data and create visualizations.
- Google Chart Tools – Display live data on your site.
Back to top
- DataMarket – Find and understand data.
- The Data Hub – The easy way to get, use and share data.
- Knoema – Your personal knowledge highway.
- WorldMap – Explore, visualize and publish geographic information.
- Get the Data – Ask and answer data questions.
- Influence Explorer – Provides overviews of political influence data for politicians.
- US Census Bureau – Measures America (people, places, economy).
- datacatalogs.org – A comprehensive list of open data catalogs.
- Freebase – An entity graph of people, places and things from Google.
- World Bank Data – The world at a glance (key development indicators).
- Data360 – Telling compelling and data-driven stories.
- Number Of – You ask, they count.
- Gallup – Public opinion polls.
- EveryBlock – Uncovers info on large cities contained in government databases.
- Daytum – Helps you collect, organize and communicate your everyday data.
- Google Public Data – Filter and animate data sets from around the world.
- Gapminder – Displays time series of development statistics for all countries.
- Munterbund – Graphical visualization of text similarities in essays.
Back to top
Create Personal Infographics
- Biogrify – Create a fun visual snapshot of your life.
- Vizify TweetSheet – Your Twitter activity as an instant infographic.
- Photo Stats – App for creating iPhone infographics out of your photo data.
- Re.vu – A visual resume tool.
- Vizualize.me – Visualize your resume in one click.
- Kinzaa – Build your infographic resume.
Back to top
- Flare – Makes it easy to create interactive data visualizations (ActionScript).
Back to top
Great Infographic Studios and Designers
- Column Five – Creating visual content that brings people to your site.
- FFunction – Data visualization consulting.
- Interactive Things – A user experience and data visualization studio.
- Periscopic – An agency whose tagline is “do good with data”.
- Fathom – Helps clients understand and express complex data.
- JESS3 – Creative agency specializing in data visualization.
- Visual Evolution – London-based infographic design.
- Lemon.ly – Create understanding through visuals.
- Prime Infographics – Creates custom infographics for businesses.
Back to top
Infographic Articles and Tutorials
- How to Create Outstanding Modern Infographics – Vectortuts+
- Infographic: Do-It-Yourself Guide to Infographics – Marketing Tech Blog
- A Few Rules for Making Homemade Infographics – The Atlantic Wire
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Infographic Design – Smashing Magazine
- How to Create a Great Infographics (Slideshow) – The Content Lab
- Design a Magazine Infographic – Digital Arts
- Create an Infographic Typography Animation – aetuts+
- How to Create Great Infographics – .net magazine
- The Anatomy of an Infographic – SpyreStudios
- How to Strike a Balance Between Data and Visualization – The Daily Egg
- 7 Steps to Make Your Infographic a Success – SEOmoz
Back to top
Other / Miscellaneous / Overflow
- Wolfram CDF – Create “infoapps” using always-current data.
- Kaggle – Making data science a sport.
- KISSmetrics Infographics – Useful infographics by KISSmetrics.
- Better World Flux – A beautiful interactive visualization of what matters in life.
- Data Wrangler – Interactive tool for data cleaning and transformation.
- Lyza – Analyze, socialize, decide.
- A World of Tweets – Twitter visualization.
- QlikView – Business intelligence for everyone.
- We Feel Fine – An exploration of human emotion.
- Visual Economics – Unraveling complexities in financial data.
- ComponentArt DV – Present, navigate and visualize your data like never before.
- DOMO – Business intelligence platform.
- Infochimps – Big data infrastructure made clear.
- Evaluat3 – The best way to know your professional strengths (graphs).
- Webpages As Graphics – An HTML DOM visualizer app.
- Creately – Draw diagrams online using a collaborative approach.
- Wordle – Create beautiful word clouds.
- Tagxedo – Word clouds with style.
Back to top