This post is #11 in DailyTekk’s famous Top 100 series which explores the best startups, gadgets, apps, websites and services in a given category. Total items listed: 113. Time to compile: 6+ hours. Follow @DailyTekk on Twitter to make sure you don’t miss a week!
There’s quite a list of people who are interested in creating iPhone/iPad and Android apps these days. Big publishers, indie developers, small businesses, advertising agencies, app enthusiasts/hobbyists/wannabe developers–the list goes on. No matter who you are this post has everything you need to develop, test, market, monetize, analyze, enhance and refine your next hit app. Get ready for some great tools that can help you create a more polished app with the biggest chance of meeting your goals (like making money or engaging users).
There’s truly something for everyone here. For the big guys I’ve included links to powerful and scalable cross-platform SDKs. For the indies out there I’ve included tools to help acquire traffic and promote apps to keep you competitive. For small businesses I’ve included some great services that let you create an app on your own with no coding required. If you’re a developer and you use this list to create an app, let me know! I’d be happy to help promote it if it’s good.
Also read: 100+ Professional Social Media Business Tools for Brands and Marketers
I’m sure there’s more than 100 awesome tools for creating awesome iPhone, iPad and Android apps out there so if I missed something good leave me a comment to let me know!
- Random + Noteworthy Tools
- DIY (No Coding) App Creation Tools
- Development, Analytics and Management Platforms
- Mockup and UI Design Tools
- Mobile Ads + Monetization
- Test, Refine and Get Feedback
- App Promotion & Marketing
- Enhance App Functionality
- Other and Miscellaneous
Random + Noteworthy Tools
- Tapjoy – Drive more installs and boost your revenue.
- Vungle – Video trailers for your app.
- Skala Preview – Sends lossless, color-accurate previews to any iOS device.
- Apptopia – Buy and sell app ownership.
- appbackr – Get your apps funded or profit from funding apps.
- Ooomf – Create a beautiful landing page for your iPhone app in minutes.
- App Annie – App store analytics and market intelligence.
- Mopapp – App store analytics.
- Pieceable – Make your iOS apps work in the browser.
- Chupa – The marketplace for buying/selling mobile app components.
- Distimo – Providing valuable insight into the app store marketplace.
- Appsfunder – Fund your development. Build up customers. Keep ownership.
- PlayHaven – Mobile game LTV maximization platform and cross-promotion.
- Appstores.com – White label app store and distribution platform.
- Cloudmine – Stop writing backends for your mobile apps.
Back to top
DIY (No Coding) App Creation Tools
- Cabana – The visual way to make gorgeous custom mobile apps. *RG
- Mobile Roadie – Full CMS, no coding app builder for iOS and Android.
- Appafolio – 100% native apps, content caching for offline viewing and more.
- AppMakr – Point and click solution for building rich content based apps.
- RareWire – DIY app creation studio. Coming soon.
- GameSalad Creator – Create, test and publish your own game. Drag and drop.
- Bizness Apps – Mobile apps for businesses made easy.
- WebMobi – Create a mobile web app in minutes. Many features.
- SwebApps – An easy way to build your app in minutes.
- TapLynx – Create an app from your website in minutes.
- AppBreeder – “The online iPhone app builder.”
- App Press – Build iOS apps without coding.
- Dapp – The app design app. WYSIWYG editor with 100% money back guarantee.
Back to top
Development, Management & Analytics Platforms
- Parse – Add a powerful and scalable backend to your app in minutes.
- Appboy – User engagement, CRM, analytics and more.
- Flurry – Analytics, traffic acquisition and monetization.
- Mixpanel – Mobile analytics. Actions speak louder than page views.
- Scoreloop – Cross-platform mobile gaming SDK. Virtual currency and more.
- PhoneGap – Open source HTML5 framework that supports 7 platforms.
- Kontagent – User analytics for the mobile web.
- Appcelerator – Mobile app platform for building on Android, iOS and mobile web.
- Kendo UI Mobile – Build HTML5 apps that look native on any device.
- Appoxee – Making mobile app engagement easy, effective and trackable.
- Localytics – Powerful tools and actionable insights.
- Precog – Harness the power of big data to build smarter apps.
- Apsalar – Allows mobile publishers to analyze, optimize and monetize.
- Sencha – HTML5 framework for mobile devies.
- Flow – Build real-time apps faster, better, smarter.
- StackMob – Robust and flexible end-to-end HTML5 platform.
- Claritics – Intelligent analytics for mobile app developers.
- Tiggzi – Cloud-based mobile app builder.
- Capptain – Combines analytics and CRM features.
- Placed – The Placed SDK enables location analytics for your app.
- GENWI – Cloud publishing for mobile.
Back to top
Mockup and UI Design Tools
- App Cooker – Advanced iOS mockup generator for mobile applications.
- Proto.io – Silly-fast mobile prototyping.
- Mockabilly – App for creating mockups on iPhone.
- UI Stencils – Stencils, sketch pads and accessories for UI design.
- Interface – Mockup and prototyping app for iPhone/iPad.
- justinmind – Rich interactive wireframes to define mobile apps.
- UXPin – User experience design tools for professionals.
- Symbolicons – Simple, precise and awesome vector icons.
- Prototypes – Turn your stackable designs into a tappable iPhone prototype.
- Blueprint – An iPad app for mocking up iPad/iPhone applications.
- Mobility – A free set of mobile UI design elements.
- Android GUI Set – Free Android GUI set including Photoshop files.
Back to top
Mobile Ads + Monetization
- iAd – A significant revenue stream for iOS developers.
- Millenial Media – Monetization solutions for mobile app developers.
- inneractive – Mobile advertising and marketing.
- Burstly – Empowers developers and enables them to make more money.
- Airpush – Push ad network. Android app monetization.
- Medialets – Mobile rich media advertising.
- xAd – Local mobile ads.
- madvertise – European mobile advertising marketplace.
- Pontiflex – Mobile performance advertising.
- WHERE Ads – Deliver relevant local ads to your audience.
- Jumptap – Targeted mobile advertising.
- Tapgage – Mobile interstitial ads (also has a “click exchange” for driving traffic).
Back to top
Test, Refine and Get Feedback
- Apptentive – Easy in-app feedback for iPhone application developers. *RG
- Apphance – Instant, accurate and complete mobile testing.
- Crashlytics – Powerful yet lightweight crash reporting for iOS and Android.
- StartUpLift – Submit your startup. Get featured. Get feedback.
- Crittercism – Gives you real-time, actionable crash reports for mobile apps.
- BetaBait – Find beta users and testers.
- BugSense – Crash reports for Android, WP and iOS apps.
- FieldTest – Currently in private beta.
- iPad GUI PSD – A free vector iPad GUI set.
- uTest – End-to-end software testing.
- Truevoo – Submit iPhone apps for users to review.
Back to top
App Promotion & Marketing
- apptap – App search, recommendations and marketing.
- AppCod.es – iOS app store SEO and marketing.
- Appency – Professional mobile application marketing.
- App.net – Market your mobile apps with beauty, strength and intelligence.
- Chartboost – Succeed in the app store through cross-promotion.
- Appular – iPhone application marketing and public relations.
- Appia – An open app marketplace with over 32k developers.
- App Store Optimization – SEO for mobile apps.
- AppCircus – The global open app showcase platform.
- buzzdoes – App marketing and distribution tool.
Back to top
Enhance App Functionality
- PubNub – Blazingly fast cloud-hosted messaging service for real-time apps.
- Xtify – Push notifications for iOS, Android and Blackberry devices.
- Lookio – Live in-app support for mobile applications.
- CENZIC – Solutions for mobile application security.
- SecureUDID – A UDUD solution that’s secure and respects privacy.
- Verious – A mobile app component marketplace.
- ZooZ – Start accepting secure in-app payments within minutes.
- Applingua – iOS app localization (translation) service.
- Trestle – Powerful cloud services for your mobile apps.
Back to top
Other and Miscellaneous
- Interstate – Plan and share development progress using roadmaps.
- Mobile Orchard – The iPhone app developer’s blog.
- Appolocious – Discover iPhone and iPad apps. A Yahoo directory.
- Orientation to Android Training – Official Android classes.
- StackOverflow – Question and answer site for programmers.
- Tap2Print – Monetize your photo/image app.
- StartApp – Get paid for your Android app downloads.
- AppLover – Helping build amazing applications.
- BlueStacks – Run Android apps on Windows.
Back to top
Thanks to Doron Sherman from PubNub for suggesting I add a post navigation via email.
*GR – Suggestions made by Robi Ganguli via comment.