You might be surprised at just how little you actually know about effective social media management. When people ponder what they do or don’t know about social media, they typically think about their knowledge of various platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. Some people even pride themselves on staying current on the hottest new social companies and trends such as Sonar, Forecast or Touch.
While social media certainly couldn’t exist without these types of platforms, a person that is well versed in what the latest platforms are, and even how to use them, is only seeing a small fraction of the bigger picture. Scary, huh? In order to make it as easy as possible for people tasked with professionally managing social media for brands large or small to understand what that big picture looks like, I’ve developed a set of “building blocks” that can serve as a guide. I’ll discuss these concepts in-depth in an upcoming book.
Here are the 6 strategic building blocks of effective social media management, in order of most important to least important:
- Audience Aware: Creating targeted content that appeals to specific people.
- Quality Content: Content must be of the highest possible quality.
- Creative: Infuse creativity into all aspects of your strategy.
- Professional Management: Consumers post updates, professionals analyze.
- Trend Conscious: Don’t waste time posting content