Are you ready to ruin any chance you had of getting any work done today? This list represents “the best of the best” of the tech world’s resources DailyTekk curated over 2012. Culled from nearly 30 top 100 lists, this exclusive roundup represents the top 10 Editor’s Choice selections from our most popular lists of last year. Grouped together they form a powerful mega-life-resource that you can refer to again and again. Whether you want to find some new music to listen to, creating an infographic or an app or getting married, the coolest sites and services are here neatly categorized for your enjoyment. Seriously, there is something here for everyone from the techie to the entrepreneur to the executive to the stay-at-home parent.
For these resources to get selected to be a part of our top 100 lists in the first place was a big deal as we weed out the junk from an entire industry or category and display only the coolest, most useful items. Naturally, it was a bit painful editing down an entire list of 100 amazing resources into a bite-sized top 10, but, for better or worse, it was done and the results are here below. If you happened to miss out on any of our epic lists last year, this is a great place to get introduced to our curation ethic. Many of our top 100 roundups took 14+ hours to research and link up meaning this particular mega-list probably represents more than 220 hours of work.
Discover and Listen to Music
- exfm – See what’s trending. Discover new music. Share with friends.
- Spotify – A new world of free music is just a click away.
- Songza – Listen to music curated by music experts.
- liveplasma – Music (and movies and books) discovery engine.
- Grooveshark – Listen to free music online. Internet radio and MP3 streaming.
- WillCall – Catch a live show at the last minute at exclusive prices.
- OurStage – Discover great new independent music artists. Free streaming radio.
- Soundrop – Crowd based social music hangout where you can listen with friends.
- Liveset – Now the concert comes to you.
- turntable.fm – Connect with your friends for realtime social listening.
From: 100 Ways to Discover and Enjoy Music
Curate Social Media and News Content
- Faveous – The place for everything you like.
- Storify – Building the story layer above social networks.
- Flipboard – Your social magazine.
- Trapit – Captures personalized content. Powered by advanced AI.
- Scoop.it – Leverage curation to easily build gorgeous magazines.
- News360 – Next-generation news personalization and aggregation.
- Paper.li – Become a publisher and start an online newspaper.
- Prismatic – Discover and share relevant news.
- Pearltrees – Collect and share everything you like on the web.
- Hitpad – iPad app that lets you know what’s up in the news / Facebook.
From: The 50+ Best Ways to Curate and Share Your Favorite Social Media and News Content
Take and Admire Photos
- Pixoto – Online community where photographers compete in categories.
- Viewbug – A community which awards, promotes and shares photography.
- FotoTV – Learn photography online with more than 400 films.
- 500px – Share and discover inspiring images.
- Phototuts+ – Photography tutorials from beginner to advanced.
- 1x.com – Hand-picked photo curation community.
- Shuttercrack – Inspiring photography from CFYE.
- Pixiq – Photography tips and gear reviews.
- The Beginners’ Lens – iPhone photography tips, tutorials, app reviews and more.
- Picplum – The easiest way to send photo prints.
From: Photo Geeks Rejoice: 100+ Photography Resources, Inspirations and Services
- Twylah – Create awesome, custom brand pages for your tweets.
- PostPost – Awesome stuff gets lost on Twitter. Strip-search your timeline.
- Vizify TweetSheet – Your Twitter activity as an instant infographic.
- Klout – “The standard for influence.”
- cotweet.com – Helps marketers plan, automate, deliver, and optimize their campaigns.
- HootSuite – Dashboard for teams using Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn.
- twitcam – Stream live video on Twitter.
- Splitweet – Management + brand monitoring for multiple Twitter accounts.
- WeFollow – Twitter directory and search. Find Twitter followers.
- Slipstream – A good way to deal with too many tweets.
From: The Top 100 Twitter Tools of 2012 (Categorized)
Create and Browse Infographics
- Infogr.am – Create interactive charts and infographics.
- Visual.ly – Awesome community for creating and sharing infographics.
- Visualizing.org – Making sense of complex issues through data and design.
- Biogrify – Create a fun visual snapshot of your life.
- Gephi – Like Photoshop for data. Graph visualization and manipulation software.
- Information Aesthetics – The relationship between design and information.
- Tableau Public – Free data visualization software.
- DataMarket – Find and understand data.
- Re.vu – A visual resume tool.
- The Data Hub – The easy way to get, use and share data.
From: Over 100 Incredible Infographic Tools and Resources (Categorized)
- Evernote – Remember anything.
- Awesome Note – Combine notes with to-dos in one app.
- Workflowy – Easy, powerful and non-overwhelming list maker.
- Things – Awesome to-do list for Mac/iPhone/iPad.
- Rule – Rule your work, enjoy your life.
- MindMeister – Online and mobile mind mapping (Web/iOS/Android).
- Thoughtback – Randomly sends you important stuff from the past.
- 1Password – Account and password management (Mac/iOS).
- Omnifocus – Professional-grade task management (Mac/iOS).
- Popplet – Idea collection, curation, sharing and inspiration.
From: Use Tech to Get Organized: The 100 Best Tools, Websites, Apps and More
Discover Web Content
- Twisted Sifter – The best of the visual web.
- Uncrate – Stuff you never knew you wanted.
- My Modern Met – Connecting over creativity.
- The Selby – Pictures in your space.
- Gear Patrol – Spirit of adventure. Passion for gear.
- Brit + Co. – Ideas to live more simply, beautifully and creatively.
- Dwell – At home in the modern world.
- The Awesomer – Awesome stuff.
- AFAR – Where travel can take you.
- Today and Tomorrow – Beautiful things.
From: The 100 Best, Most Interesting Blogs and Websites of 2012 (Categorized)
Manage a Brand on Social Media
- Sprout Social – Social media management, Twitter tools, social CRM.
- awe.sm – Analytics for social media.
- Radian6 – Social media monitoring and engagement, social CRM.
- Brandwatch – Social media monitoring tools.
- Shoutlet – Enterprise social marketing platform.
- Adly – Celebrity endorsements in social media.
- DataSift – Unlock insights from historical Twitter data.
- North Social – Quickly create and manage Facebook pages.
- NutshellMail – Delivers a social media summary to your email inbox.
- SocialTimes.com – Your social media source.
From: 100+ Professional Social Media Business Tools for Brands and Marketers
Spark an Idea and Get Inspired
- PSFK – A go-to source for ideas and inspiration.
- Springwise – Your essential fix of entrepreneurial ideas.
- The 99 Percent – Insights on making ideas happen.
- trendwatching.com – Scans the globe for consumer trends, insights and innovations.
- OpenIDEO – An open innovation platform where people design better, together.
- Inkling – Prediction markets, idea evaluation, crowd forecasting and data insights.
- Get Addicted To – Daily mix of creative culture.
- The Five Thot – At the intersection of creativity and commerce.
- The Setup – What do people use to get stuff done?
- Conversations.org – Inspiring social artists.
From: 100 Sources of Idea Fuel for Tech Entrepreneurs
- Dribbble – Show and tell for designers.
- Webdesigner Depot – Exploring different web and graphic design techniques.
- Paper – Ideas begin on paper. Closest thing to sketching on real paper on the iPad.
- COLOURlovers – Color trends + palettes.
- Smashing Magazine – Covering coding, design, mobile, graphics, UX and more.
- I Love Typography – Fonts, typefaces and all things typographical.
- Silverback – Guerrilla usability testing software for designers and developers.
- Creattica – An online resource for design inspiration and freebies.
- Krop – Creative industry job board.
- MOO – Custom business cards, MiniCards, postcards and more.
From: The 200 Best Graphic, App and Web Design Tools & Resources (Categorized)
- Codecademy – Interactive, fun way to learn to code with friends.
- Heroku – Cloud application platform. Deploy and scale powerful apps.
- New Relic – Web application performance management (APM).
- Stripe – Payments for developers.
- Twilio – APIs for voice, VoIP and text messaging.
- GitHub – Social coding.
- Appboy – Customer engagement and CRM platform for mobile apps.
- Binpress – Source-code marketplace: components, packages, classes, scripts.
- Crittercism – Stop worrying and start building. Mobile app performance monitoring.
- Cloud Assault – Load testing without the aeronautics degree.
From: 100 Terrific Tools for Coders and Developers
Create an App
- Tapjoy – Drive more installs and boost your revenue.
- App Annie – App store analytics and market intelligence.
- Flurry – Analytics, traffic acquisition and monetization.
- App Cooker – Advanced iOS mockup generator for mobile applications.
- Mobile Roadie – Full CMS, no coding app builder for iOS and Android.
- Chupa – The marketplace for buying/selling mobile app components.
- Appafolio – 100% native apps, content caching for offline viewing and more.
- Parse – Add a powerful and scalable backend to your app in minutes.
- Burstly – Empowers developers and enables them to make more money.
- Crashlytics – Powerful yet lightweight crash reporting for iOS and Android.
From: 100 Tools to Develop the Next Killer iOS or Android App
Start a Company
- Startup Quote – Daily wisdom about startups.
- AngelList – A platform for startups. Standardizing the pitch deck.
- 42Floors – Find office space.
- Y Combinator – Has funded over 380 startups (3 months, Silicon Valley).
- LaunchRock – Setup a “Launching Soon” page in minutes.
- Interviewstreet Codesprints – Coding contests; streamline the hunt for programmers.
- StartupDigest – Free weekly email to help you meet people and learn more.
- Startup Compass – Benchmark your startup’s KPIs against more than 10k internet startups.
- Get Satisfaction – Deeper engagement for faster resolution.
- AYTM (Ask Your Target Market) – Market research has never been this easy.
From: 150 Resources for Tech Startups
Make a Difference
- Catchafire – Skills-based volunteer matching.
- All For Good – Find and share ways to do good.
- Rally.org – Social fundraising made easy for everyone.
- Fundly – Social fundraising platform.
- Change.org – Create and market awareness campaigns to targeted users.
- HelpersUnite – Connecting artistic projects, business and charity.
- CauseVox – Build beautiful fundraising sites quickly and easily.
- Sevenly – Tee-shirts that raise money for charity.
- ChipIn – An easy way to raise money online.
- Razoo – Online fundraising and donations for nonprofits.
From: Charity Toolbox: 100+ Nonprofit-Specific Tech Tools (Categorized)
Watch TV and Video
- Boxee – The one box your TV needs.
- Tunerfish – Socialize around the TV shows and movies you love.
- Simple.tv – A DVR for a connected TV world.
- Miso – Social TV platform that makes watching TV more fun.
- GetGlue – Check-in to TV, movies. Discover new favorites.
- Anyclip – Watch any moment from any film.
- Viggle – Watch TV, get rewards.
- Revision3 – High quality, original internet TV (tech themed).
- NeoTV – From Netgear. Turn your TV into a smart TV.
- Redux – Hundreds of channels of entertaining, hand-picked video.
From: Video Revolution: 100+ Ways to Watch and Create TV, Film and Web Video
- Jux – Your pictures and words fill the page edge to edge.
- Scribe – Simple SEO software from Copyblogger Media.
- VaultPress – Automattic’s official WordPress backup offering.
- Livefyre – Supercharge your outdated comment system. Go realtime.
- Shareaholic – Social bookmarking and sharing plugin.
- Svbtle – The essence of blogging.
- Zemanta – Blog publishing assistant (recommendations and related items).
- Curate.Us – Share screen clips everywhere.
- WooThemes – Premium WordPress themes and plugins.
- Skyscrpr – Advertising, simplified. Sell advertising directly to buyers.
From: 100 Useful Blogging Tools
Get Fit and Stay Healthy
- GymPact – Never miss another workout again.
- Nike+ FuelBand – Measures your everyday activity and turns it into NikeFuel.
- Cardiio – Touch-free pulse sensing. Turn your phone into a bio-sensor.
- ZocDoc – Find a doctor, get reviews and ratings.
- RunKeeper – Running app and fitness community.
- Cake Health – A free, beautiful and uncomplicated way to manage health care.
- Fitness Buddy – Revolutionize your workout with over 1,700+ exercises.
- Gipis – A personal step by step plan that automatically adapts to you (iPhone app).
- Habitual – Master the force of habit, together.
- Meddik – Learn from people who have been there.
From: 100 Ways to Get Fit & Stay Healthy With Tech (It’s Easy!)
- Foodspotting – Find and recommend dishes, not just restaurants (web and iPhone).
- The Kitchn – Inspiring cooks, nourishing homes.
- Love Your Larder – An online food market for buying food from independent producers.
- Gilt Taste – An online magazine and market for food lovers.
- Foodily – Free iPhone app with millions of recipes from people you trust.
- Ness – Restaurant recommendations that are tailored to your taste.
- Grubwithus – A social dining network that brings people together over delicious food.
- Thryve – Choosing the right food to eat can be a challenge. Let Thrive do the work (iPhone).
- AllMenus.com – Find every restaurant menu here.
- Seamless – Order food for delivery and takeout.
From: 100 Tasty Food Apps, Sites and Startups (Categorized)
- rome2rio – Discover how to get anywhere.
- airbnb – Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night.
- Hipmunk – Cool flight and hotel search.
- Jetsetter – Great vacations at members-only prices.
- Vayable – Discover unique tours and activities.
- Atlas Obscura – Curious and wondrous travel destinations.
- TripIt – Automatic travel itinerary and trip planner.
- HotelTonight – Need a hotel, tonight? Get last-minute deals. Up to 75% off.
- Kukunu – Plan, create and share your trips.
- Spotted By Locals – Experience cities like a local.
From: Travel Smarter: Over 100 Top Websites and Apps for Your Next Trip
- Momversation – You need a time out.
- Kiwi Crate – Hands-on fun delivered right to your door!
- CafeMom – The meeting place for moms.
- Kinsights – Ask parenting questions and get answers from real parents.
- Jolly Mom – Recipes, crafts and more.
- Wittlebee – Monthly kids clothing club.
- Rompr – Share and discover ideas for cool stuff to do with your kids.
- Kaboose – Crafts, printables and other activities for kids.
- UrbanSitter – Find babysitters through friends.
- Tinybeans – Baby journal for busy parents.
From: 100 Amazing Tech Tools for Parents and Kids
- Khan Academy – Learn almost anything for free.
- SparkCollege – Blogs, admissions, college life and school reviews.
- Tuition.io – Manage student loans; optimize your debt.
- StudyHall.com – Study, share, connect with your classmates.
- Abroad 101 – Study abroad programs and reviews.
- Chegg – Expert help in all subjects, eTextbooks, course reviews and more.
- Quizlet – Study languages, vocabulary or almost anything (and share with your friends).
- Spill – Peer support network for empathy and encouragement.
- Schooltraq – A smarter academic planner for a smarter you.
- InternMatch – Find internships (including paid internships).
From: College Tech: 101 Indispensable Apps, Websites and Resources for Students
- Planboard – Lesson planning made easy.
- Top Hat Monocle – A web-based clicker and online homework tool.
- Schoology – Manage lessons, engage students, share content and more.
- Engrade – Unify administrators, teachers, parents and students.
- BetterLesson – Share what works. Free K-12 lesson plans, materials and resources.
- LearnBoost – Free gradebook for teachers.
- The Coursebook – Discover, track and share great learning experiences.
- Rafter – Find course materials your students will actually use.
- OpenStudy – Get live help, social studying, help other students.
- BenchPrep – Web, iPhone/iPad, Android test prep courses. GRE, LSAT, MCAT and GMAT.
From: EdTech: 100 Tech Tools for Teachers and Students
- Tailored – Find your bridal style. Personalized wedding recommendations.
- Twenty Pages – Magazines for weddings.
- Lover.ly – Discover and save wedding ideas.
- Wedzu – Indie and handmade wedding marketplace.
- Appy Couple – Invitations via apps.
- The Groom’s List – Groom checklist and wedding responsibilities.
- OneWed – Smart and simple planning tools, endless eye-candy and vendors.
- WeddingLovely – Sends you timely to-do’s and easy to manage checklists via email.
- 100 Layer Cake – DIY wedding ideas, vendors, venues, supplies and more.
- The Budget Savvy Bride – Beautiful weddings without breaking the break.
From: 100 Wedding Blogs, Apps and Other Tech Resources