As I was looking over DailyTekk’s analytics recently I noticed that a lot of people are landing on our site after Googling “what is coding?” Most likely, these searchers end up on a popular article I wrote awhile back called 7 Easy Ways to Learn Coding and Computer Science for Free or The 10 Best Ways to Teach Kids How to Code. But neither of those articles explains what coding is. So I’ve decided to put together a skimpost that breaks down exactly what coding is for complete beginners.
TIP: We publish useful new tech lists every weekday. See them all!
Also read: 100 Terrific Tools for Coders and Developers
- Code is a set of instructions (or rules) that computers can understand; it might be helpful to think of code as a recipe.
- People write code, code powers computers and computers power many everyday objects like phones, watches, microwaves and cars.
- In fact, almost anything powered by electricity uses code.
- There are many names for people who code: coders, programmers, developers, computer scientists, software engineers, etc.
- Computers run on binary code—written in 1s and 0s—which is very difficult for humans to work with.