Here’s your chance to get in on the social media revolution in it’s most current form and guess what? These bite-size tidbits will get you informed without taking up much of your time (but there is plenty to dig into if you want to get deeper). This post has it all: from emerging networks to trends to stats and all points in between. Prepare to be informed.
This post is #27 in DailyTekk’s famous Top 100 series which explores the best startups, gadgets, apps, websites and services in a given category. Total items listed: 113. Time to compile: 13+ hours. Follow @DailyTekk on Twitter to make sure you don’t miss a week!
As the dawn of 2013 approaches, what do you need to know about social media in the upcoming year? If you’ve been out-of-touch for awhile or have simply set your social media skills on cruise control, here’s your chance to play catch-up real quick. Like many posts I create on this blog, I made this one for me as much as for you because I wanted to make sure I was as current as possible on this important subject. I’ve included information from as many different sources as possible to assure variety and depth (including from DailyTekk–see the last section for some amazing resources). While I can’t promise that you will magically become a social media expert after reading this, I can say you will have a good shot at at least sounding intelligent when talking about social media. Please leave your comments and recommendations if I missed something you think should be on this list.
Climbur delivers exclusive big ideas and creativity to your inbox from the world’s top innovators every Monday.
10 ‘Other’ Social Networks to Be Familiar With
- Path – Stay connected with family and close friends.
- Tout – Create 15 second video updates on your phone.
- Airtime – The platform for great video conversation.
- App.net – A real-time social feed without the ads.
- OurSpot – Rediscover relationships.
- Sonar – Connect and share with the people nearby now.
- Highlight – A fun way to learn more about people nearby.
- Pair – An app for couples.
- Nextdoor – The private social network for your neighborhood.
- Roamz – Reveal nearby interestingness.
Things You Need to Know
- Checking your social media accounts is as addictive as nicotine or sex. More on ConsumerAffairs.
- Women’s Facebook recommendations