What is 4K? And what’s the difference between 4K and 1080p? You’re about to find out. Whether you simply want to have to clearest, most accurate and eye-popping video experience or are merely curious as to what everyone is talking about (and whether you should care), this article with set you straight in no time at all. 4K is already here, but it’s only going to become a bigger deal in the coming months and years. Now is a great time to decide whether or not you should upgrade your TV or wait it out a bit. If there’s anything you’d like to add, please leave us a comment below!
- Pixels—basically dots on your screen—determine how sharp images appear. More pixels means more sharpness.
- 4K resolution uses 4 times as many pixels as 1080p video—so it’s quite a bit clearer.
- 4K is also known as Ultra High Definition (vs 1080p which is known as “regular” High Definition).
- You might also see or hear 4K screens referred to as 2160p (twice the height of 1080p).
- Think of it this way: all the pixels of an HD screen would fit into one fourth of an UHD screen of the same size.
- The name 4K refers to the approximate amount of horizontal screen pixels, in this case around 4,000.
- Unless you are sitting close enough to a 4K screen, you might not notice a big difference from 1080p.
- If you are sitting further than 8′ away from a 60″ TV, 4K resolution won’t make much of a difference.
- A 4K TV will make non-4K content look better.
- 4K Blu-Ray discs are on the horizon. They will utilize 100GB triple-layer discs.
- 4K isn’t the highest pixel density imaginable—people have already begun talking about 8K resolution (also considered UHD).
- No, you can’t yet buy an 8K screen—those are mostly for movie theaters at the moment.
- Streaming 4K content—say via Netflix someday—will require at Internet connection of at least 25Mbps.
- BONUS: The best budget 4K TV is probably the Vizio P Series.
- What Is 4K? – CNET
- 4K And Ultra HD: Everything You Need To Know – Techradar
- 11 Reasons Why Your Next TV Has To Be A 4K Ultra HD TV – Techradar
- 4k vs 1080p and upscaling: Is UHD worth the upgrade? –