It is a truism that you can see further by standing on the shoulders of giants and this article is geared toward helping you do just that. It is packed full of inspirational and informative gold nuggets that will help any founder or startup team power through to the end zone. I’ve collected, broken down and simplified the profound thoughts (often entire posts) from the many founders and executives that have contributed to DailyTekk over the last year (see footnote) into super-simple bite-size bits that are quickly and easily digestible (as Michael Scott would say, digest them and we’ll see what comes out the other end). The end result is a powerful startup resource I think beginners and veterans alike will want to bookmark/favorite and reference from time to time—I know I will!
What would you add to this list (or modify or take away)?
- Don’t wait! Your idea is running away from you everyday unless you chase it.
- The real secret to success is to never give up—success usually goes to the last one standing.
- Team up with people that are better than you so that 1 + 1 = more than 2.
- 2-3 out of every 500 companies seeking venture capital get funded. Why? These companies have scalable business models/products that solve real problems AND have a story to tell.
- Serve customers, not technology, by solving problems for real people.
- The thing about walled gardens is that you live at the pleasure of the gardener. Doesn’t matter how pretty your leaves are or how far down your roots go. The gardener decides who gets the sunshine, who gets the water, and who gets a shovel-load of fertilizer.
- Age is not a problem. What is a big problem is wasting time that you’ll never get back.
- Integrate with a vibrant startup community where like-minded people can push you forward, understand your pain, share experiences and broaden your network.
- A singular vision can buoy a company, but true success resides in a great team of designers, developers, and engineers.
- If you wait until it’s perfect you’ll never be done. Get it out there, get people using it and make it real.
- Tech entrepreneurs: without users you are nothing more than lines of code so go grab your community and listen!
- Getting through the worst of times is how you win.
- As a general rule, people don’t like to do hard