Joomla is a full-featured CMS used for the establishment of websites within any niches, from personal blog sites and portfolio sites to large e-commerce sites and business portals. However, as it is mainly developed for experienced webmasters and developers with so many advanced features, many website owners feel difficult to use it for website building. After all, the majority of people only have the basic computer knowledge, lacking the coding or programming learning.
In this case, we’d like to introduce some tips concerning about how to start a Joomla website with ease. Note that these tips are the most basic ones that can only help you set up a site with the most common features. If you want something deeper, you’d better go through some resources sites like Joomla.org and BestHostingForJoomla.
Prepare Joomla Hosting
Before everything to start, you need to select a reliable Joomla hosting provider, for the hosting service is the base of any kind of websites to host the data and files.
At present, there are hundreds of web hosts that claim to offer the Joomla hosting, but only few of them guarantee a quality service. In this case, you need to do a lot of review and comparison tasks to make sure that the web host you select meet the following requirements:
- 100% Joomla compatible with the latest version of PHP and MySQL.
- Robust web server and world-class data centers to ensure no downtime and fast page loading speed.
- Affordable price that is less than $7/mo along with the rich hosting features including 1-click Joomla installer and easy to use control panel.
- Responsive technical support that is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week via phone calling, online chat and email communication.
If you feel complicated to check these aspects one your own among countless options on the web, you can simply refer to this award page to learn something about BlueHost – the leading web host that is also recommended by Joomla.org.
Choose a Proper Domain
Domain name is the online address that tells people how to access your content. Therefore, you need to place a core importance on this. Generally, this can be considered at the same time of the first tip, for web host requires you to enter your domain during the hosting order process.
As for the decision of domain name, you need to pay attention to the following tips:
- Choose a relatively short domain instead of a long one
- Use the simple words that are easy to remember and spell
- Avoid using dash and special numbers
- Enter the keyword or some hot topics into the domain name
- Make sure that the domain your choose can be a representative of your web content
Learn Something Basic of Joomla Dashboard
Unlike WordPress that offers an easy to understand admin panel, Joomla makes this a little bit more complicated. But for newbies, you only need to know three things.
- How to edit, publish, revise and update posts?
- How to install and active templates?
- How to install and active modules?
First of all, in the main admin, you can find an “Add New Article” button. Simply click it to edit and publish your new posts. In the “Article Manager” option, you can view and manage your posts in a bulk way.
As for the installation of Joomla templates and modules, you can go to the Extension < Extension Manager. From here, you can choose to install from the web, from directory, from URL, as well as from uploading package files. Choose your preferred way and you can see a message telling you “Installing template/module was successful”.
If you want to activate the theme or plugin you install, simply go to the Template Manger or the Plugin Manager from the Extension Manger; then, locate your targets and click the star icons next to them.
Pay Attention to Website Security
This aspect is generally focused by large or e-commerce site owners, but ignored by some small bloggers. Actually, nobody can afford the loss and destroy of website data, so you need to pay much attention to it.
In general, the best way for newbies to secure their websites is by installing some security modules to prevent hackers and filter spam. Here, we highly recommend Admin Tools and Key CAPTCHA.
Besides this, website backup is also important. After all, no matter when your site is hacked by some malicious intruders, the backup files can help you bring your site back to normal. To do this, we do not recommend you to backup your site manually. Instead, the Akeeba Backup tool can come into use. Note that the proper frequency can be set as three times a week.
Learn Search Engine Optimization
To make your website popular and successful, you need to learn some methods about search engine optimization. After all, no matter how great your website is, it is all in vain if nobody knows about it. In this case, carry out some SEO things can bring your site in front of people.
- Update Regularly with Great Content – Searching robots crawl and index your webpages for evaluating your words. The better your word is, the higher search engines may rank you. With a high ranking, your chances to be known by people are more.
- Use Keywords Technique – The utilization of hot keywords is a common SEO way. You can use it into your URL, webpage name, post name and article body naturally. This way, searching spiders can index your website effectively.
- Use SEO Modules – Choose to install the SEO modules to do the SEO things for you automatically, especially for the adding of the sitemap and meta description.