It seems like there are a million weather apps—doesn’t it? So why would we possibly need another? Well, apparently, we need a weather app that is funny—or at least tries to be funny. That’s what the folks at CARROT believe because they have created a new weather app called CARROT Weather. And they aren’t alone: there are a handful of weather apps trying to be funny including some that cuss and an a weather app from Funny Or Die.
Honestly, I’m plenty happy with my favorite weather app of all-time: Dark Sky. It’s simple, well-designed and as (or more) accurate than other weather apps I’ve tried. But, I fell into the trap of thinking that perhaps a funny weather app could add something to my day by injecting a bit of laughter into my otherwise routine work day.
Unfortunately, CARROT Weather hasn’t made me laugh yet. Here are a number of phrases it has thrown my way trying to get a chuckle out of me:
- Hey look, I can spot the Dropbox cloud from here!
- May the force be with you. Unless you like the prequels. Then you can go jump off a bridge.
- Such clouds. So amaze.
- I thought I spotted the sun through the clouds, but that was just he meteor that’s going to end all life on earth in approximately 32 seconds.
- That cloud looks like a baby sloth wearing a hat.
- Dayman! Fighter of the Nightman! Champion of the sun! You’re a master karate, and friendship, for everyone!
- That cloud looks like a pregnant hippopotamus.
- Mammatus clouds look like udders hanging down from other clouds. They portend severe weather and, as such, are my favorite.
- Is it partly cloudy, or partly sunny?
- It’s partly cloudy, meatbag.
- You’re going to take these clouds and you’re going to like them.
- Meteorologists have no clue what they’re talking about.
What do you think? I say, “Meh.”
And the CARROT voice—the same throughout all CARROT apps—in downright annoying. I hate to say bad things about this app because I know a team of people really put some work into trying to make something people would enjoy; and that shows. But it just isn’t for me.
The interface is okay. Not brilliant, not horrible. I’ve certainly seen worse. You can switch from a short-term forecast to an hourly to a daily. You can also unlock forecasts for “secret” ...