This post is #2 in DailyTekk’s famous Top 100 series which explores the best startups, gadgets, apps, websites and services in a given category. Total items listed: 117. Time to compile: 6-7 hours. Follow @DailyTekk on Twitter to make sure you don’t miss a week!
Since I not only work for a nonprofit but am also in the process of starting my own nonprofit, I’ve been doing some research into some useful tech tools in the social sector. In my search I ran across a few list posts that either (a) mentioned only a few tools or (b) mentioned tools that were really just business tools that nonprofits could also use. Since neither scenario offered me an easy-to-bookmark motherlode/jackpot scenario that fulfilled my craving for nonprofit-specific tech tools, I set out to create a useful list of my own. Trust me when I say it wasn’t easy. I spent a good 6-7 hours of my free time researching, typing and linking but I feel like my effort paid off since I discovered dozens of new tools I had never heard of before including a few that are still in private beta testing (denoted as coming soon). It should be known that I left quite a few sites out because they had designs that looked like they were from the very beginning of the Internet (design is important to me). If I missed anything good let me know in the comments!
Climbur delivers exclusive big ideas and creativity to your inbox from the world’s top innovators every Monday.
- Rally.org – Social fundraising made easy for everyone.
- HelpersUnite – Connecting artistic projects, business and charity.
- CauseVox – Build beautiful fundraising sites quickly and easily.
- Fundly – Social fundraising platform.
- Causecast (for nonprofits) – Free cause marketing and fundraising tools.
- Givey – Cost-effecetive, gift-aided donations through social media and SMS.
- Pinkdingo – Enabling recurring donations (coming soon)
- MyCharityBox – Easily collect donations online.
- Philanthroper – Daily deals site / non-profit donations mashup.
- Charity Engine – Changing the world one bit at a time.
- Sevenly – Tee-shirts that raise money for charity.
- 1% of Nothing – Inspiring early-stage corporate philanthropy (coming soon).
- Give2gether – Effective and simple online fundraising.
- Flipgive – A better way to run fundraising campaigns (coming soon).
- Razoo – Online fundraising and donations for nonprofits (at 2.9%).
- Charitybuzz – Do good. Live well.
- Crowdrise – Online fundraising platform.
- Givezooks! – Social fundraising for nonprofits.
- FirstGiving – Helping ordinary people raise extraordinary amounts of money.
- MobileCause – Mobile fundraising and engagement solutions for nonprofits.
- GoFundMe – Online fundraising for you.
- Browse For a Cause – Firefox add-on that donates to charity.
- ChipIn – The easy way to collect money.
- GoodSearch – Gives money to charities when people search.
- GlobalGiving – Connecting donors and doers.
- Givealittle – Fundraise and donate online.
- JustGive – Online charitable giving.
- iTrulyCare – Free charity event ticket sales and fundraising.
- SmallChangeFund – Grassroots giving and community projects.
- SixDegrees – Social networking with a social conscience.
- Twollers – The Twitter currency of appreciation.
Connecting with Volunteers
- Sparked – Skills-based enterprise microvolunteering for corporations.
- Catchafire – Skills-based volunteer matching.
- HandsOn Network – Inspiring, equipping and mobilizing people to take action.
- All For Good – Find and share ways to do good.
- Taproot Foundation – Service grants for professional pro-bono work.
- VolunteerMatch – Where volunteering begins.
- Idealist – Volunteer, work, intern, organize, hire and connect.
- Do Something – Powering offline action.
- VolunteerSpot – Free volunteer sign-up sheets and scheduling.
- ABV – International development and corporate volunteering.
- 1-800-Volunteer.com – America’s volunteering address.
- Volunteering in America – Info on volunteering and civic engagement.
Marketing and Awareness
- BroadCause – Activating employees and companies around social good.
- SocialVibe – Charity platform that connects consumers and charities.
- Change.org – Create and market awareness campaigns to targeted users.
- The Point – Campaign asking people to give money or accomplish something.
- We Are What We Do – Helping charities engage more people.
- Better the World – Connecting companies, nonprofits and individuals.
- Games for Change – Catalyzing social impact through digital games.
- Care2 – Makes it easy for people to impact the causes they care about most.
- GreatNonprofits – Independent reviews of nonprofit organizations.
- Twititions – Create and sign petitions using Twitter.
- LikeMinded – Making it easy to share community success stories.
- Petition Online – The marketplace for free ideas.
Miscellaneous and Other
- The Mutual – Rewards people for donating to charity with perks.
- PureCharity – A global platform for encouraging generosity.
- Crowdtap – People earn status and gift cards and support charity in the process.
- GiveBack – Create your own foundation.
- TechSoup – Helping nonprofits get the tech resources they need.
- NetSquared – The intersection of technology and social change.
- Bloson – A social network for contributing to charity (coming soon).
- Footprints Network – Businesses harnessing micro-donations.
- Grassroots.org – Free services for nonprofits.
- Citizen Effect – Citizen philanthropy.
- Benelab – Raise money for charity by searching the web.
- charitubl – Raising awareness and money or charity (coming soon).
- Mobilize.org – Creating solutions to social problems.
- Fenton – Serves the public interest by creating powerful issue campaigns.
- Socinteract – Socialize for a cause.
- Sojo – Play for good.
- KarmaGoat – Give your stuff, do some good.
- Tagive – A piece of each purchase is donated to a charity of the week.
- Eval.me – Customers fill out surveys and donate money.
- Givedon – Another search engine that gives money to charities.
- Give a Tweet – Match, donate, tweet to spread the giving.
- Google Tools for Nonprofits – Free access to Google products.
- MailChimp – Email marketing software. MailChimp for nonprofits.
- Wufoo – Easy online form builder. Wufoo for nonprofits.
- Snooze – Allows people to donate $0.25 per snooze.
- Instead – Microdonation app.
- CareZone – Give to charity when you make a purchase.
Blogs and Resources
- Inspiring Generosity – Fundraising blog by Razoo.
- Poptech – Dedicated to investigating, prototyping and growing social innovations.
- Craigconnects – Technology for the common good.
- Living Philanthropic – An ordinary guy’s guide to giving back every day.
- Nonprofit Bridge – ePhilanthropy for nonprofit organizations.
- Nonprofit Tech 2.0 – A social media guide for nonprofits.
- Social Citizens – Immerse. Converse. Disperse.
- Version of NPtech – Supporting and educating change makers.
- CauseWired – The blog of a boutique consulting firm that advises nonprofits.
- Social Butterfly – Exploring social media marketing and social change.
- Katya’s Nonprofit Marketing Blog – Nonprofit marketing.
- Social Source Commons – Nonprofit tech, tools and social media advice.
Bonus: Charities Using Technology In Interesting Ways
- charity: water – Getting clean water to people in developing nations.
- Kiva – Connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty.
- GiveForward – Raising money for medical expenses.
- Spot.us – Community funded reporting.
- SwipeGood – Swipe your credit card and donate.
- Raspberry Pi – Sells an ARM GNU/Linux box for $25.
- Community Collection – A portion of sales go toward charity.
- Girl Effect – Helping adolescent girls end poverty for themselves.
- Child’s Play – Improving kids lives through video games.
- DonorsChoose – Connecting people to classrooms in need.
- Global Gift Guide – Give gifts that really matter.
- HopeMob – Allowing people to vote on causes.