Don’t act like you haven’t dreamed about being famous on YouTube. And don’t pretend like getting famous on YouTube is easy. It’s not. It takes persistence, creativity, persistence, some new technical skills, persistence, some help from people who are already successful, persistence AND… persistence. But while getting YouTube famous might seem really hard it’s by no means impossible if you’re willing to commit and be, you guessed it, persistence. Ready to go? Okay, here’s everything you need to know—in the order you need to know it—about getting famous on YouTube. If we missed anything or if you have any great suggestions, be sure to add it in the comments section below. Good luck!
If you’re interested in becoming a YouTuber check out my book From You to YouTube. Also, be sure to check out my list of the 100 best tools and resources for aspiring YouTubers. And before you get any further, make sure to check out Tubebuddy if you’re a YouTuber!
Update: check out my new list of the top 100 YouTube channels you probably haven’t heard of yet!
TIP: We publish useful new tech lists every weekday. See them all!
- Memorize the resources on YouTube’s Creator Hub. But first, here are some basic things you should know…
- Do your research to get an idea of what’s out there; check out #PopularOnYouTube for starters.
- Above all else, be yourself and be original; the audience wants to get to know you as a person so express your unique personality.
- Be passionate about making content rather than trying to be successful.
- Figure out what will make your content different or better than other YouTubers.
- Get a good video editing program and practice using it. Along those lines…
- Start by making shorter videos.
- Put in the time to make high-quality content. The higher the quality of your content, the higher your view count will probably be.
- Build your momentum; get at least 10 good videos uploaded before you start promoting your channel.
- After you’ve got some decent videos under your belt, concentrate on making the most creative, funny, informative or mind-blowing video that will jumpstart your vlogging career.
- Once you have one incredible video with some decent momentum try to get featured by a YouTube editor; just like Instagram, getting featured is the quickest, surest path to success.
- Upload as often as you can no matter what. Try