This article contains the best Snapchat tricks, tips, hacks, and advice to take your snaps to the next level. Celebrity snapchats are going to have nothing on you (with the exception of that whole fame thing)! If you want to crush it in the creativity department and become the envy of your snapchat friends or if you want a shot at showing up when people start looking for the best snapchats to follow then you’re definitely in the right place. Oh, and you’ll definitely find a few suggestions here you haven’t seen anywhere else yet.
What you won’t find here are tricks to save on battery life or data usage (Snapchat is a hog), or ways to secure your Snapchat account (even though that’s very important) or shady things like how to take a screenshot without anyone knowing (don’t do that).
Depending on who you are and how much you use the app, some of these suggestions may seem like awesome bolts of idea lightning and others might seem like common sense. In either case, there’s one thing to keep in mind which might give you an edge over other Snapchat users looking for tricks and tips as well: new tricks usually surface after each Snapchat update. So that’s the time to start looking for new ideas to maintain your creative edge (and we’ll try to post anything good right here to keep you up to speed).
Finally — and this is big — just spend some time thinking up your own tricks (as opposed to just searching for tips other people already know about). You never know when you might stumble across an Easter Egg or even invent some new technique nobody every thought to try before. There is nothing better than originality when it comes to just about anything in life. Heck — I thought up a couple bits of advice in just a few minutes for this post. Go on, give it a try (and if you think of something good, why not leave it in the comments section)!
Oh and in case you’re interested I also made a similar article about how to get famous on Instagram (which I bet you’d like since you’re obviously a socially ambitious person).
19 creative Snapchat tricks worth trying
- Have a goal. Really. Are you here to snoop, get famous or be creative? Pick a direction and your next steps will fall into place naturally. Coincidentally if you want to outdo your friends… read on!
- Be creative with your snapcode. Use each frame creatively: tell a joke, make a mini movie, etc. Timing is everything so prepare ahead of time and be ready: record a video, draw on paper, quickly change your background, use Photoshop and record your computer screen. Luckily you have unlimited tries so go ahead and blow people away.
- Follow Snapchat celebrities and other creative people to get ideas. Common sense, really.
- Make Snapchat even more ephemeral. Imagine what fun you can have with a snap that only lasts for an hour (or a minute)… Part of what makes Snapchat different is that snaps disappear within 24 hours. But you can make them disappear faster by deleting snaps from your story manually. Go to any snap within your story, swipe up on it and hit the trashcan icon.
- Use more than one filter at a time (up to three). It’s easy: swipe your first filter into place, hold a finger on the screen (to keep the first one in place) and then swipe another filter in. Briefly lift your finger and then hold it back down on the screen and swipe in a third filter (or you could just stop at two).
- Neatly fit longer text on just one line. After you type some text, use your fingers to pinch to zoom until it fits on just one line for a cleaner look.
- Use “vintage” lenses. Did you know you can change the date on your phone to see lenses that have long been gone? Just go into your settings under Time & Date and turn off automatic updates (and don’t forget to turn this back on when you’re done).
- Use multicolored letters in words. Try highlighting individual letters within words and changing their colors. Lots of potential for gradients here…
- Turn emojis into filters. Only total beginners use emojis at their normal size! Use two fingers to zoom added emojis — you can even blow them up to take up the entire screen and then move them around to get interesting effects. Try combining multiple emojis…
- Create your own frames out of letters and numbers. Just like you can blow up emojis and use them as colorful filters, you can blow up letters and numbers to frame stuff. Just zoom and place anything with a gap in it (O, A, Q, B, Z, V, P, etc.). You can also use this technique to create custom dividers and then snap with them in mind — use a slash, for instance, to divide a pic into two areas.
- Brighten up any picture using night mode (flash). Snapchat’s night mode is auto-enabled in dark situations: if you want to brighten up a picture (and people do tend to prefer brighter images, FYI) then simply cover your phone’s camera for a second or two until the crescent moon icon appears. Then flash away!
- Zoom to draw. By enabling your phone’s screen zooming feature (inside the accessibility settings) you’ll be able to draw with more precision and detail (your friends will just assume you have amazing drawing skills).
- Play music in the background while you record. Turn on your favorite song and boom: you’ve got a soundtrack for your snaps.
- Tap text in filter for more options. Try it with the time — you’ll get the date as an alternative. What else will you find?
- Switch cameras mid-video. Double tap the screen while recording to switch between your front and rear cameras.
- Zoom while recording. Move the finger you are using to hold down the record button up the screen (and back) to zoom (and un-zoom). Try zooming in and out quickly several times for emphasis or to grab attention.
- Stack text. Create several blank lines in your phones Notes app (by hitting return a bunch) then highlight those blank lines and copy/paste them into a text line in Snapchat. Then type away on any line you you want.
- Get more Snapchat points. It’s simple: send and receive more snaps. Some people send snaps to people who will never open them (like celebrities) because… it counts (for now). Note: I don’t recommend this.
- Drop the mic. If, for some reason, you ever want to delete your Snapchat account click here.
I hope this article was useful to you. If it was I’d really appreciate a Facebook share or tweet!