This post is #5 in DailyTekk’s famous Top 100 series which explores the best startups, gadgets, apps, websites and services in a given category. Total items listed: 123. Time to compile: 8+ hours. Follow @DailyTekk on Twitter to make sure you don’t miss a week!
If you’re a regular reader of DailyTekk you’ve probably figured out that I love to create useful and comprehensive resources on a given subject and on this particular occasion I’ve focused my gaze on the subject of digital photography. I believe that the result is one of the best posts I’ve created to date. I really went out of my way to try to find some new photography resources that pros and noobs alike probably haven’t seen or heard of before. The post starts off with 10 random and cool must-see photo services if you are just looking for a quick fix and progresses through places to find photography techniques and tips, awesome and inspiring photo galleries, explores photo sharing services, blogs about photography, portfolio building tools, ways you can sell your photos, iPhone photography, photojournalism sites and ways to create prints and art from your photos. It’s a pretty massive post but it’s easy to scan because I put a lot of thought into organization. As always, don’t forget to check out the “Other and Miscellaneous” section at the end where there’s some cool stuff that didn’t fit in elsewhere. Despite all my research it’s possible that I missed something cool that deserves to be mentioned here on this list so please leave me a comment to let me know what else is out there!
Climbur delivers exclusive big ideas and creativity to your inbox from the world’s top innovators every Monday.
10 Random and Cool Photo Services
- Expono – Photo backup, sharing, social features, GPS integration and more.
- Viewbug – A community which awards, promotes and shares photography.
- PhotoPivot – Flickr like you’ve never seen before.
- PurePhoto – Photo community for sharing and selling your work.
- Photic – Constructive criticism and feedback platform for photographers.
- Mosaic – Backup your photos to the cloud and access them anywhere.
- Collages.net – Professional lab, albums, books, eCommerce.
- Floggia – Upload, follow and discover great photos, topics and people.
- The Best Camera – Sharing and appreciating the best in mobile photography.
- 7Moments – Create a free private group photo collection.
Photography Techniques and Tips
- FotoTV – Learn photography online with more than 400 films.
- Phototuts+ – Photography tutorials from beginner to advanced.
- PictureCorrect – Lots of great tips and techniques.
- PhotographyBLOG – Has an entire category dedicated to techniques.
- Digital Photo Pro – Advanced digital photography techniques.
- Photography Tips – Learn how to take better pictures.
- BetterPhoto.com – Online photography classes.
- Nikon Learn & Explore – Photography basics from Nikon.
- Photo.net – A community with photography learning techniques.
- Outdoor Photographer How Tos – Expert advice on shooting outdoors.
Inspiring Images and Galleries
- Pixoto – Online community where photographers compete in categories.
- 500px – Share and discover inspiring images.
- 1x.com – Hand-picked photo curation community.
- Shuttercrack – Inspiring photography from CFYE.
- Photography Served – Fresh works from leading creative professionals.
- National Geographic Photography – Photos of the day and more.
- World Press Photo – Advancing photojournalism standards. Excellent galleries.
- Stuck In Customs – Incredible photo of the day series.
- Pixdaus – Nature photography bookmarked.
- PDN Photo of the Day – A daily selection from the editors of Photo District News.
Photo Sharing & Social Photography
- PhotoRocket – Collect, group and share lots of photos fast.
- ZangZing – Full resolution photos displayed beautifully with no ads.
- Fotobabble – Tell your stories with talking photos and slideshows.
- Imgur – The simple photo sharer.
- Zaplife – Photo blogging platform with a social twist.
- Flukle – Share photo updates with your friends from a phone or computer.
- Piictu – iPhone picture conversations app. Talk and play with pictures.
- ZFlip – Fun and easy way to share photos online or on the go.
- Pixable – Finds the best photos shared on your social network.
- Gallerama – Photo archiving, showcasing and sharing.
Blogs About Photography
- Pixiq – Photography tips and gear reviews.
- The Photo Argus – A photography resource blog.
- The D-Photo – Photography inspiration and articles.
- Photofocus – Writing about photography since 1998.
- Fuel Your Photography – For photographers by photographers.
- ProductionParadise – Online visual media showcase.
- Digital Photography Department – Tips, tutorials and reviews.
- FlakPhoto.com – Celebrating contemporary photography.
- Photopreneur – A guide to making money from your photos.
- Cool Photo Ideas – Photography news and ideas.
Portfolio Sites and Tools
- 22Slides – Easy online portfolios with seamless Instagram integration.
- Postera – Great looking, easy to maintain portfolio websites for creative people.
- Flo’Folio – Managing your portfolio has never been so fun.
- PhotoShelter – Powerful websites for serious photographers.
- Lens.ph – Get a free portfolio within minutes.
- SlideShowPro – Photo publishing tools for your website.
- Snapixel – Sharing pixels just got smarter. Awesome portfolio included.
- Folio Fox – Hosts the work of some of the worlds best photographers.
- Creya – A portfolio platform for photography enthusiasts.
- PhotoDeck – Photography websites with a brain.
iPhone Photography (iPhonography)
- iPhone Photography Awards – Annual iPhone photography awards.
- The Beginners’ Lens – iPhone photography tips, tutorials, app reviews and more.
- What I See Now – iPhone photography tips, resources and news.
- Life in LoFi – iPhone photo news, showcases and app reviews.
- Hipstamatics – A blog for Hipstamatics.
- Objective Scenes – An iPhone and mobile phone photography blog.
- iPhoneogenic – A place for highlighting the iPhoneographer.
- iPhoneography – The iPhone photo and video blog.
- iPhone Camera Essentials – Learn everything you need to know.
- iPhone Photography Society – A place to share and enjoy iPhone photos.
Excellent Photojournalism Sites
- Pictory – Photojournalism and social documentary.
- FOTO8 – Photo gallery showcasing photojournalism projects.
- Once Magazine – An iPad app with incredible photojournalism.
- Burn Magazine – An evolving journal for emerging photographers.
- Great Photojournalism – Work from professional photojournalists.
- Noor – Human rights and social justice photojournalism.
- Guardian Eyewitness – An iPad app with distinctive photographs.
- The 37th Frame – Celebrating the best in photojournalism.
- BBC News In Pictures – The name speaks for itself.
- The Big Picture – News stories in photographs from Boston.com.
Photo Printing / Art / Books
- Picplum – The easiest way to send photo prints.
- TinyPrints – Photo books and more.
- MinuteFrame – Frame a photo in less than 1 minute for $20 including shipping.
- Foto Friend – Facebook photo printing and webcam effects.
- MoPho – Order photo prints and merchandise directly from an iPhone.
- Blurb – Photo book printing.
- Mixbook – Photo book printing plus cards and calendars.
- Shutterfly – Photo books, cards, prints, photo gifts and more.
- Snapfish – Photo printing, photo books, calendars, cards and more (by HP).
- Canvas on Demand – Print your photos on canvas.
Sell Your Photos
eCommerce Website Tools
- Photo Merchant – Professional way to sell your photos online.
- SmugMug – Share, protect and sell your photos.
- Fotomoto – Sell photos directly from your own website.
- Pixaria Gallery – Publish, distribute and sell images and image-derived products.
- Photoreflect – Over 20,000 photographers sell through Photoreflect.
Sell Stock Photography (Contributors)
- Veer – Make up to $7 per download (contribute link).
- BIGSTOCK – Earn 30% royalties (contribute link).
- Crestock – Earn up to 40% based on aggregate downloads (contribute link).
- Fotolia – Earn from 20-63% royalties on a sliding scale (contribute link).
- Depositphotos – Earn between 40-60% commission (contribute link).
Other and Miscellaneous
- Cambridge in Colour – A learning community for photographers.
- Digital Photography Review – Digital photography news and reviews since 1999.
- The Album Cafe – Photoshop templates for photographers.
- WPO – World Photography Organization.
- StickyGram – Your Instagrams as magnets.
- Fotopedia – A photo magazine / app for iPad.
- This Week In Photos – Home of the TWiP podcast.
- picWorkflow – Online stock photo workflow and analysis tools.
- Digital Photography School – Photography tips and tutorials.
- Pro Studio Exchange – Photographer to photographer studio rentals.
- Photography Talk – Photography forum and community.
- Deleted Images – A photography junkyard.
- morgueFile – Free photos for creatives by creatives.
- Strictly No Photography – Photos of things you’re not supposed to see.
- TinEye – Reverse image search engine. See who is using your photos.
- ShutterCal – Calendar-based photography project.
- Adoroletuefoto.it – A photo contest for all types of photographers.
- 360Cities – World’s Largest 360° Panoramic Photography Community.
- PixSylated – Syl Arena on light and image-making.
- File Magazine – A collection of unexpected photography.
- Blipfoto – Share your life through pictures one day at a time.
- PixyBlog – Photo sharing community.
- Skylin.es – Real-time photo search platform (for web and mobile).