You’ve just stumbled upon the world’s best, most useful WordPress resources article. At least that’s what I set out to create. From getting started with choosing or designing a WordPress theme, to getting it developed/coded, to picking the best WordPress hosting company to getting help and support to must-use WordPress plugins, to WordPress blogs and resources to the actual equipment you’ll need to blog in the first place. As you might expect, some of the best WordPress resources are free and some are paid (premium).
Yep, this article is pretty comprehensive! But at the same time, this article isn’t exhaustive. I’ve gone to to a great deal of work to handpick what I thought were the very best WordPress resources so you wouldn’t have to sift through the hundreds (or even thousands) of options in each category. Now it will be easier than ever to get started with WordPress—even for beginners. If you aren’t sure where to start, you can literally select the #1 resource in each category below and go from there! And there’s something here for every type of WordPress user: whether you’re blogging using a Mac or a PC, an iPad or an Android tablet, a Chromebook or a netbook—or whether you’re blogging for business or personal reasons. And, just to be as helpful as I can possibly be, I’ve included some expert WordPress tips and advice within each section. Enjoy!
Note: this article does contain affiliate links which don’t add any cost to you, but do help DailyTekk keep the lights on.
The Best WordPress Theme Marketplaces
- TemplateMonster – Responsive WP themes with 100% guarantee & 24/7 support.
- Elegant Themes – Get 87+ beautiful, premium WP themes for only $69.
- Themify – Drag and drop WordPress themes!
- Creative Market – Over 1,400 REALLY CLEAN WordPress templates + freebies.
- ThemeForest – Over 4,800 WordPress themes and templates.
- TeslaThemes – Premium WordPress artworks.
- MOJO Themes – 1,000+ WordPress Premium themes.
- RocketTheme – An extensive collection of beautiful WordPress themes.
- ThemeShift – Professional WordPress themes since 2009.
- ThemeSnap – Premium WordPress themes.
10 Awesome (Random) WordPress Tools & Resources You NEED To Know About
- Codeable – Hire WordPress experts for development or consulting (a personal favorite).
- QARDS – Combine a variety of pre-designed elements (or cards) to create a WP site.
- Aesop Story Engine – Tell rich, interactive stories in any WordPress theme.
- WPD – A smarter way to find the best WordPress plugins.
- 99designs – Have a pool of talented designers compete to design your perfect WP theme.
- Analytify – Makes Google Analytics look good on WordPress (including realtime).
- Headlines – Automatically test WordPress headlines.
- WPnom – Key WordPress functions, filters, features, tips and tricks for designers.
- WordPress Theme Search – Wondering what WP theme a site is running? Find out!
- WP Rocket – Make WordPress faster.
The Best WordPress Hosting Providers
Expert WordPress tip: A few hosting companies I have had experience with in the past and do NOT recommend include: MediaTemple, 1and1 and Synthesis by Copyblogger.
- WP Engine – Powerful WP hosting. “Hassle-free, fully-managed WordPress hosting.”
- HostGator – Finding cheaper/more affordable WordPress hosting is going to be very tricky…
- Bluehost – Servers “built to run WordPress like a dream.”
- SiteGround – “Delivered by people who love WordPress.”
- Dreamhost – Fully managed, “lightning-fast” WordPress hosting.
- Pagely – “The most scalable WordPress hosting.” Powered by Amazon’s cloud.
- Site5 – Built for designers & developers.
- GreenGeeks – Host your WordPress site on “the cleanest hosting around.”
- eleven2 – 24×7 live customer support. 60 day money back guarantee.
- Flywheel – Simple WordPress hosing built specifically for designers.
The Best Ways To Learn WordPress
- Treehouse – Learn to code.
- Lynda – High-quality, in-depth video WordPress tutorials with project files.
- Udemy – Tons of WordPress courses. From development to making money on WP.
- WP Sessions – Learn from WP experts. Watch live & ask questions or watch later.
- WP101 – Learn the WordPress basics in about an hour + get personalized help.
- WP Apprentice – Learn how to get a quick start on WordPress to go feature-rich.
- Videos.WPBeginner.com – Free WordPress video tutorials from WPBeginner!
- ed2go – Everything you need in order to build an attractive, sophisticated WP site.
- WordPress.tv – Free WordPress training and info from… WordPress!
- Books – There are tons of books on how to learn WordPress.
The Best WordPress & Blogging Apps/Software
Expert WordPress tip: I love publishing on WordPress, but composing within WordPress less so. Though slightly more time consuming, I prefer to write in a dedicated writing app and then pop it into WordPress before publishing.
- Blogo – The nicest, sleekest WordPress blogging app for Mac.
- Drafts – I do 50% of my blogging in this app on an iPhone 6 Plus (see below).
- Screenflow – The BEST Macscreencasting tool (my opinion). Also records iOS screens!
- BlogPad Pro – A professional WordPress iPad app.
- ByWord for Mac (and iOS) – Simple and efficient text editing on all your devices.
- WriteRoom – A plain text writer for iOS with automation features and markdown support.
- iA Writer for Mac (and iOS) – Keep your mind on the text.
- Daedalus Touch – Simple and powerful writing for iPhone bloggers.
- Typed – A stunning markdown and writing app for Mac.
- Blogsy – WordPress editor for iPad.
The Best Starter WordPress Themes & Frameworks
- Theme X – Aims to be the only WordPress theme you’ll ever have to buy.
- Thesis – The ultimate design and template manager for WordPress.
- StudioPress – Makers of the Genesis framework and awesome themes that run on it.
- PageLines – Drag and drop WordPress themes and tools built for designers.
- Canvas – The flagship theme from WooThemes. Highly customizable.
- Thrive Themes Content Builder – Fast, intuitive visual editor for WordPress.
- Headway Drag & Drop – WordPress as simple as dragging and dropping.
- Gantry – Comprehensive set of building blocks for rapid WordPress development.
- Roots – Combines HTML 5 boilerplate, Bootstrap, Grunt and Bower.
- Cherry Framework – Fully responsive, easy install, steady updates, shortcakes, widgets, and more.
The Best Premium WordPress Plugins
Expert WordPress tip: When it comes to using forms with WordPress, don’t mess around with Google or Wufoo. Gravity forms is the easiest, most comprehensive WordPress forms solution I’ve used.
- Easy Social Share Buttons – Very slick and good looking social share buttons.
- Visual Composer – Page builder for WordPress.
- Gravity Forms – Easy, advanced WordPress forms.
- Slider Revolution – The best-selling, responsive WordPress slider.
- UberMenu – The ultimate responsive WordPress mega-menu.
- UserPro – Beautiful community manager and social sign-in plugin.
- Hide My WP – Mask the fact that you’re running WP for security reasons.
- Justified Image Grid – Create a beautiful justified image gallery.
- Bookly – Responsive appointment booking plugin.
- Easy Tables – Powerful WordPress tables manager.
The Best Free WordPress Plugins
Expert WordPress tip: A caching plugin and a lazy loading plugin will do wonders to speed up your site.
- W3 Total Cache – Easy web performance optimization using browser caching.
- Jetpack – Official WordPress extensions. Must-install.
- Akismet – Official WordPress spam protection. Must-install.
- Shareaholic – Free share buttons for WordPress.
- Google XML Sitemaps – Help Google index your site.
- BJ Lazy Load – Makes your site load faster.
- WordPress Beta Tester – Test your new theme before you take it public.
- WordPress Reset – Great for testing out plugins and themes.
- Relevanssi – Better site search.
- Broken Link Checker – Make sure you don’t have any broken links.
The Best WordPress Security & Backup Services
Expert WordPress tip: VaultPress has saved DailyTekk in the past. They come highly recommended.
- VaultPress – Automated backups, daily security scans with 1-click repair.
- Security Ninja – Performs 37+ WordPress security tests.
- Sucuri – Website anti-virus.
- BackupBuddy – Backup your WordPress website.
- iThemes Security – More than 30 ways to help protect your site from attack (free).
- Limit Login Attempts – Limit failed login attempts to prevent brute force attacks (free).
- BackWPup Free – A free WordPress backup tool.
- Wordfence – Helps prevent WordPress attacks.
- Acunetix WP Security – Scans your WordPress installation for security vulnerabilities.
- BulletProof Security – Protects against 100,000’s of different attacks.
The Best WordPress Email List Management Tools
Expert WordPress tip: There’s really no point having a blog if you aren’t capturing audience info so you can keep in touch. One of my biggest regrets is not starting to capture email addresses sooner.
- Aweber – Simpler, faster email marketing.
- Ninja Popups – Professionally designed popups to convert website visitors.
- Chimpy – Mailchimp WordPress integration.
- SendinBlue – Marketing with no boundaries.
- ManyContacts – A free email collection bar across the top of your site.
- OptinMonster – Lead generation plugin loved by many bloggers.
- OptinSkin – Add gorgeous opt-in boxes and social share buttons to your site in seconds.
- HybridConnect – Advanced mailing list builder.
- Pippity – People pleasing popups (if there is such a thing…).
- Bounce Exchange – Make money from previously worthless traffic (exit intent).
The Best WordPress SEO, Optimization & Marketing Tools
- Nelio A/B Testing – WordPress conversion optimization. Test headlines, posts and more.
- Scribe – Content optimization software for online marketing.
- Long Tail Pro – Find profitable keywords faster than ever before.
- LeadPages – A next-generation lead generation platform.
- SEOPressor – Rank higher and keep up with Google (includes free training).
- Market Samurai – Stop struggling to get traffic the hard way.
- ORBTR – Change the way your small business looks at leads.
- Presspoint – WordPress-native CRM.
- Premium SEO Pack – Optimize your WordPress site for speed and search engines.
- Squirrly SEO – Content optimization powered by humans.
The Best WordPress & Blogging Equipment/Hardware
Expert WordPress tip: For saving some money while blogging on the go, I recommend using T-Mobile for data (I switched to T-Mobile and saved about $60/mo on my iPhone bill and have no regrets).
- MacBook Air – If I had a choice, I’d always do my blogging on a MacBook Air.
- Blue Yeti Microphone – Many podcasters and bloggers say it’s the best mic.
- GoPro Hero 4 – For capturing video (video blogging, or vlogging).
- Toshiba Chromebook 2 – If you’re on a budget and just need the Internet to work…
- iPhone 6 Plus – I do at least 50% of my writing on an iPhone 6 Plus (with keyboard). Love it.
- Kanex Multi-Sync Keyboard – Seamlessly use 1 keyboard between your Mac and iOS devices.
- iPad – If you don’t need to run Photoshop CC, you can get by with an iPad and a keyboard.
- JBL S400BT Wireless Headphones – I don’t know how I’d blog without music.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 – If you’re an Android user, this is the best phablet.
- Canon EOS 650D – If you’re blogging about products, you need great pics.
Featured image via Serge Kij (Flickr).