There’s so much information online just begging to be curated: news, social media, images, video, websites… the list goes on. Reading great content from my favorite blogs and websites is one of my favorite down-time activities. It’s also an important part of my job as an IT Director because I need to stay on top of the latest trends, announcements and tech news. Just a few years ago, the tools I used to use for reading and consuming content were Google Reader, StumbleUpon, Digg, Delicious… you know all the big names.
More recently I’ve discovered some great new tools to read and share my favorite content which I’ve included here in this list. Whether you are a person who just likes to stay on top of the latest news, a blogger like me who needs a way to organize the vast amount of information that comes my way or a person who just enjoys sharing what they find with others you’ll love this list. Tech-savvy readers may know of some of these tools already but I’m guessing there’s plenty of new sites and services here for you to discover. I actually discovered quite of few of these links by checking my blog analytics — turns out many DailyTekk readers knew about some of these great items before I did!
Content Gathering and Personalized Newsfeeds
- Faveous – The place for everything you like.
- Trapit – Captures personalized content. Powered by advanced AI.
- Scoop.it – Leverage curation to easily build gorgeous magazines.
- retickr – A Mac app that streams Facebook, Twitter, RSS to your desktop.
- iFlow – Discover, curate, share. A real-time information exchange.
- curated.by – Collection of topics and interests curated by everyone.
- Paper.li – Become a publisher and start an online newspaper.
- Feedly – Minimalistic, personal, social news reader for creative minds.
- Bundlr – Create topic pages to share.
- Flockler – Create your own magazine. Share your passion.
- Prismatic – Discover and share relevant news.
- Collected – Collect your interests.
- Kurat – Follow the news that really important to you.
- Pearltrees – Collect and share everything you like on the web.
- Shareist – Create your own custom curation website.
- Qrait – Realtime content curation platform.
- Kweeper – The easiest way to gather, organize and share things.
- Flipboard – Your social magazine.
- News360 – Next-generation news personalization and aggregation.
- persona/ – Everything you care about in one channel.
- Evri – A topic-based news reader.
- Ongo – Your news like never before.
- Smartr – Create and share your personal newspaper.
- Pulse – Transforms your news into a colorful mosaic.
- Hitpad – iPad app that lets you know what’s up in the news / Facebook.
- Flud – Social news reader where everyone has a personality.
- Zite – A personalized magazine for iPad / iPhone.
- Taptu – DJ your news.
- Google Currents – Favorite publications tuned for your tablet.
- AOL Editions – The magazine that reads you.
- Yahoo LiveStand – A personalized living magazine optimized for iPad.
Social Media Curation
- Storify – Building the story layer above social networks.
- The Tweeted Times – A personalized newspaper from your Twitter feed.
- Keepstream – Organize your tweets with curation.
- TweetMag – Uses your Twitter feed to create a simple magazine.
- News.me – Your must read news from Twitter and Facebook.
- Mass Relevance – Engage audiences anywhere with social curation.
- MyTweetMag – Curate content with Twitter.
- Lynkly – News curation from your Twitter and Facebook feeds.
- ChirpStory – Create stories from tweets.
- Dashter – A WordPress plugin that curates fresh content to your site.
- Memolane – Your social life captured in a simple, elegant timeline.
Website Bookmarking and Collection Tools
- Utopic – Visual social bookmarking. Saving and searching links made easy.
- Zootool – Visual bookmarking (web + app).
- BagTheWeb – Find, bag, share. Networked curation.
- Pinboard – Social bookmarking for introverts.
- Skloog – Visual bookmarking made easy.
- BonzoBox – Organize and visit the websites you use the most.
- Historious – Finally, bookmarking you can love.
- YourVersion – Real-time discovery and no-hassle bookmarks.
- Alltop – All the top stories. Created by Guy Kawasaki.
- Wavii – Auto-magical news feeds for any topic.
- In-A-Gist – Top-ranked stories from trusted stories ranked by popularity.
- Addictomatic – Create a custom page with the latest buzz on any topic.
- DailyPerfect – Predictively personalized news.