The Lazy Consumer vs. The Mobile Experience

Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Salvatore Salpietro, CTO Isebox

This is getting ridiculous now. I just want to get my coupon. I want to spend money in your business, and partly because you offered me a coupon in your store – often via my mobile device. But when I try to get the coupon I am asked to do one, or all, of the following:

  • Download an app
  • Create an account
  • Check my email
  • Share something on Facebook
  • Fill out a feedback survey
  • Complete a puzzle
  • Do a handstand
  • Juggle a mix of bowling balls and eggs

This may seem farcical. But sadly it’s realty. When are these businesses and brands going to learn that the consumer wants an easy process; with as little to “figure out” as possible? I recently went to one very popular sub and sandwich chain and I was presented with a 27-field form to fill out – on my mobile device. Technology providers are doing more harm than good when they think firstly about gathering information and secondly about the consumer experience. Frankly, the customer gets pissed off.

Why? Because we’re lazy. All of us are inherently lazy. That’s why televisions aren’t sold without remote controls anymore. So when businesses and brands present us with these high-friction processes on our mobile devices, we jump ship. We abandon the process. Often mobile experiences see abandonment rates of up to 97%! That means only 3% were pleased enough – or ambitious enough – to get to the end and spend money at your business. The other 97% are either angry or at best “meh” about your fancy mobile platform.

So why does this disconnect exist? It’s because a business or brand wants to know everything there is to know about you. And they want it in a variety of ways. They want to know your birthday, email address, location, nuptial status, where you vacation, your phone number – and for you to LIKE them on Facebook (which gets them this information indirectly anyway). They figure you’ll do whatever it takes to get that coupon – when in reality, this simply isn’t true. A better approach would be to ask them to do one small action to connect with you, and then reward them. Build trust. Build a relationship. A happy consumer will give you anything you ask for them once you get their loyalty.

A few solution providers out there are catching on. One is SunDrop Mobile – they install a keypad at a retail location, and the customer simply enters their mobile telephone number to join the loyalty program and accrue points. No cards, no stamps, no forms to fill out. Another is CodeSquare – they offer a three step process to coupon heaven. Just scan or type in a URL, do one action in one click, and get the coupon.

Businesses and brands that begin to adopt methods like this will really be able nurture relationships. Increase loyalty. And keep the consumer happy by doing what he or she loves to do – be lazy.

There are 0 comments. Comment?

Top recommendations for you: