Reddit calls itself the front page of the Internet for a good reason. Many of the most popular posts you see around the Internet (like on BuzzFeed) trace their roots to Reddit. It’s a machine that surfaces interesting content on all kinds of subjects. When I first checked Reddit.com out I thought… whoa, whats the big deal? I saw a lot of text and whitespace and didn’t hang around too long. It took me a couple of years to get back and check it out in earnest and I’m glad I did.
There are a gazillion subreddits to explore these topics and it can be tricky to find the ones you’ll really be interested in. Also, many subreddits have a very niche audience… but those I’ve gathered here should have a very broad appeal. I’ve purposefully left out some of the most popular subreddits because they are so well known it wouldn’t do any good posting links to them here. I’m talking about subreddits like r/IAmA (and AMA), r/askreddit, r/funny and r/gifs.
So in this list I’ve gathered what I believe to be the best, most interesting subreddits (including some awesome tech subreddits since this is a tech site). Don’t get me wrong—there are plenty of additional subreddits worth checking out (as well as plenty more to miss); these just happen to be the ones I would recommend looking into. Even if you’re an old Reddit pro you’ll find something new here and a few old favorites. And for those of you who still haven’t gone straight to the source yet… this will be a good introduction for you. This entire list is basically SFW (safe for work) and any subreddit that contains anything but will be labeled as such. Let me know what favorites of yours I missed.
TIP: We publish useful new tech lists every weekday. See them all!
Random, Cool & Must-See Subreddits
- TrueReddit – Reddit as it is meant to be… insightful articles, reading before voting…
- Today I Learned (TIL) – Learn something new everyday. Always interesting.
- Blowit – One sentence to blow your mind (must provide credibility).
- DepthHub – The best in-depth submissions and discussion on Reddit.
- Fascinating – Fascinating stuff from science to culture, from tech to history.
- Nostalgia – I think the title says it all… need I say more?
- Startups – Stuff for entrepreneurs.
- LearnUselessTalents – Stuff that’s cool but you’d have no reason to have learned.
- One Job! – Photos of stuff people have messed up… “You had one job!”
- Photoessay – Photographic essays and slideshows
These Awesome Subreddits Really Exist?!
- Chemical Reaction Gifs – Showcasing interesting and entertaining chemical reactions
- PerfectTiming – Pictures or videos with perfect timing. No fakes allowed.
- Fan Theories & Speculation – Fan theories about movies, TV, books, etc…
- Animals Just Being Bros – Pictures of animals hanging out like people.
- Photoshopbattles – A place to have fun with Photoshop (including weekly battles).
- Not The Onion – True stories that are mind-blowingly ridiculous.
- Futurology – Devoted to dreaming about the future.
- CrazyIdeas – Create super hobos? Elaborate. Invisible spiders? Why not?
- OldSchoolCool – “History’s coolest kids.”
- Contagious Laughter – Videos or audio of people laughing infectiously.
Subreddits For Living Better
- Life Pro Tips (LPT) – Tips on improving your life in a meaningful way.
- Uplifting News – Links to uplifting, inspirational, feel good news stories.
- LifeHacks – Uncommon solutions to common problems.
- Frugal Living – Tips on saving time, money and more.
- Random Acts of Kindness – Give and get random acts of kindness.
- Advice – Get advice about anything BUT relationships.
- Productivity – Tips and tricks for being more productive.
- Get Motivated! – Get up and do what you know you need to do.
- Social Skills – Get em if you need em.
- 99uVideos – Discuss insights into making ideas happen.
If you’re not viewing this list on DailyTekk.com then it was stolen without permission. Click here to view the original (and support the real author).
- Technology – Yes, it’s the mother of all technology subreddits.
- Gadgets – The latest and greatest (and vintage) gadgets.
- Programming – Discussion and news about computer programming.
- Amazing Technology – Cool robots, games and more cool robots.
- Apple – Everything Apple.
- Android – Everything Android.
- Automation – Discussions on automation, robotics, AI, etc.
- AskTechnology – Tech discussions. Ask questions and get answers.
- Netsec – Information security news.
- Geek – Geeky stuff, of course.
Subreddits for Learning Something New
- University of Reddit – Reddit’s version of Khan Academy. Learn stuff online.
- I Want To Learn – Want to learn something? Just ask!
- AskScience – Really interesting questions and scientific answers.
- AskHistorians – Questions and answers about history.
- How To – Informative and interesting how-tos, tutorials, guides, etc.
- Investigative Journalism – Exposés of popular culture, current affairs, or world news.
- Explain Like I’m Five (ELI5) – Friendly, simple and layman-accessible explanations.
- DIY – Learn how to do, build or fix it on your own (Do It Yourself).
- You Should Know (YSK) – Tips and tricks to help yourself improve.
- World News – Major news from around the world (minus US politics, etc.).
Featured image by Flickr user Eva Blue under CC BY 2.0 license (cropped + auto levels).